We are so not over the Salted Egg craze! This recipe idea is not new but we finally gave it a try and heck why didn’t we do this earlier?? It is not as jelak as you think it’s gonna be and the chilli padi is a must, so don’t skip it. Plain old Mac and Cheese will never be the same again.
One of life’s little guilty pleasures
Serves 2 people
When boiling pasta, don’t fully cook it because it will soften up more when it is added into the sauce.
2 tbsp butter/margarine
2 cloves garlic
2 sprigs curry leaves
2-3 chilli padi
2 tsp. flour
1 ½ cups milk
4 salted egg, yolks only
2 tsp. chicken seasoning
150g grated cheese
1 ½ cup cooked macaroni
Pinch of sugar
1. Boil salted eggs until fully cooked. Take the yolks only and use a fork to crush them.
2. Heat margarine in a pan and sauté garlic until golden brown and throw in curry leaves and chilli padi. Continue sautéing until fragrant.
Cook on medium low heat so the garlic and curry leaves don't burn
3. Add in flour, stir for a minute and pour in milk. Stir until the sauce becomes smooth.
Make sure there are no flour lumps before adding milk so the sauce won't be lumpy
4. Add in crushed salted egg yolks, sugar, chicken seasoning. Mix well into the sauce.
If you prefer to have chunks of salted egg, leave the yolks slightly chunky
5. Lastly, add in cooked macaroni and grated cheese. Give it a final stir and season with a little pinch of salt. Serve immediately.
Stir gently and to get the heat through and serve immediately. No need to cook longer than that