Salted eggs seem to be #trending this year, so we’re revisiting one of the all time greats: salted egg prawns. Crunchy prawns coated in savoury salty egg yolks are to die for, and the aroma of curry leaves and kick from cili padi only add to the awesomeness of this classic dish.
Buttery and rich prawns to die for!
Serves 4 people
You can also dredge the prawns with oats or Nestum for a unique twist on it.
500g prawns, shell on, split in the middle
5 salted egg yolks, steamed and mashed
2 Tbs cornstarch
3 garlic cloves, sliced
1 inch ginger, sliced
3 - 4 cili padi, chopped
2 stalks curry leaves
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Dust the prawns with cornstarch.
2. Heat about a cup of oil on high heat and fry the prawns until golden but not cooked through. Take out, drain and set aside.
3. Discard 3/4 of the oil. On a medium flame, saute the ginger, garlic, cili padi and curry leaves until fragrant and lightly browned.
4. Add the salted egg yolks and cook on medium for 5 minutes. Season to taste.
5. Chuck in the prawns and stir well to coat.
6. Serve immediately!