This is a hugely satisfying Middle-Eastern recipe. Eggs are poached in a tomato sauce until perfectly cooked. It’s hearty, satisfying and very delicious. Makes a perfect breakfast or brunch, too. Make sure you have plenty of crusty bread to mop up the sauce!
A perfect breakfast/brunch dish!
Serves 2 - 3 people
Make it spicier by spiking it with some chillies.
1/2 cup olive oil
3 jalapeños, stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed then sliced
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tbsp paprika
1 14-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes, undrained
Salt to taste
1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
Handful parsley, chopped
1. Heat oil in a wide skillet over medium-high heat.
2. Stir fry onions and jalapenos until soft and golden brown. Add in garlic, cumin and paprika and cook until the garlic is soft.
3. While onions are cooking, crush tomatoes (and their liquid) in a bowl with your hands. Add this to the skillet with about ¼ cup water.
4. Reduce the heat to medium and let simmer for about 15 minutes. Salt to taste at this point.
5. Crack eggs in even distribution across the surface of the sauce. Cover the pan and cook for about 5 minutes until the yolks are set but still runny.
6. Turn off the heat, sprinkle feta and parsley on top, and serve.