When we made this kaya ( egg coconut jam ) in our office, we were so excited. Although we had to wait for a couple of hours, man…it was worth it. Creamy and sweet, spread on hot toast, this definitely satisfied our growling tummies!
so rich, it's like liquid gold...
Serves 10 people
This thick and rich kaya is great eaten with blocks of salted butter on top of thick toast.
2 litres Coconut Milk
7-8 cylinders/blocks of Gula Melaka ( 1.5 kg of Palm Sugar )
2 Cups Water
20 Egg Yolks
8 Tbs Corn Flour
1 Tbs Sugar
1. Melt the gula melaka with sugar and cook until it turns into a thick syrup.
2. Pour in coconut milk, stir well and bring to boil.
3. Switch off the flame and let it cool for 30 minutes.
4. Once cooled, add yolk a little at a time, whisking gently while you're doing this to avoid scrambling the eggs.
5. Mix corn flour with water and add it to the egg mixture..
6. Once you've combined all the ingredients together, switch the flame on again and bring it to boil once more. When it starts to boil, lower the heat and cook until it thickens. This will usually take a couple of hours.