This is a relaxed fry up you can make at home. It is a marriage between mamak mee goreng with the use of tofu and a Malay homestyle one with ikan bilis added for a bit of salty kick. Yum!
Serves 4 - 5 people
Add some extra crunch and texture to the noodles by tossing in about a cup of crushed, roasted peanuts to the blended mixture before cooking.
1 packet yellow noodles
2-3 shallots, chopped
100g ikan bilis
100g chili boh
5-6 cloves garlic
100g chicken breast, sliced thinly
50g fishcake, sliced
1 cake of tofu, cut into cubes
1 handful of choy sum or sawi, chopped
Soy sauce, as needed
Salt, as needed
1. Blend the ikan bilis, shallots, chili boh and garlic. In a hot wok, add in oil. When smoking, add in the blended mixture and cook until a bit dry and pasty.
2. Add in the chicken and fishcake, cook for 3-4 minutes. Add in eggs, and stir for another 3 minutes.
3. Next, add in the noodles and tofu. Stir well to combine all ingredients. Season with soy sauce and salt to taste.
4. Finally, toss in the chopped vegetables and cook until the vegetables have wilted but still bright green.
5. Serve hot with a squeeze of lime.