By just adding your favourite sausage to a medley of mushrooms and aromatics will punch up your weekly pasta meal. We make this with the spirally fusilli so that you’ll get sausage bits and mushrooms in every fork-twirl.
Add your favourite sausage to your weekly pasta
Serves 3 - 4 people
A nice little saucy pasta that you can keep and bring to work the next day
1/2 tbsp. olive oil, plus more for drizzling
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 red onion, chopped finely
2-3 cups sliced mixed mushrooms (we used shimeji, browns and buttons)
A good handful of baby spinach
2 beef sausages (removed from casing)
450g dried fusilli
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 cup chicken stock
200ml cooking cream
Juice of half a lemon
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 tsp. chilli flakes
1. Cook fusilli pasta according to packet instructions in lightly salted water.
2. While waiting for pasta to cook, heat olive oil in a large pan on medium heat and brown the sausages. Break them with your wooden spoon until it is rendered evenly. We like 'em a little crispy. Put sausage mix into a bowl and set aside.
3. Without cleaning the skillet, add in garlic and shallots and sauté until soft.
4. Add mushrooms and fry mixed mushrooms with a pinch of salt and pepper. Fry until the moisture from the mushrooms evaporates.
5. Add in cooked sausage meat and mix well. Squeeze in lemon juice.
6. Mix in cooked pasta and add stock and cream. Allow to simmer.
7. Add in baby spinach and grated Parmesan. Sprinkle oregano and chili flakes. Add more water or seasoning if needed.
8. Serve hot and garnish with some grated Parmesan and chili flakes.