Somsom is an Asian version of Panna Cotta made out of rice flour custard and doused in gula melaka syrup. This dairy-free kuih is smooth and velvety, best eaten hot or cold.
Soft, velvety and smooth...
Serves 8 - 10 people
While cooking Somsom, the batter will be smooth, then turn lumpy and smooth out again. Just keep stirring until it is glossy.
180g rice flour
60g corn flour
Pinch of salt
500ml coconut milk
1 to 1.5 liters hot water
1 pandan leaf
Gula Melaka Syrup
50g gula melaka
2 tsp. white sugar
1 pandan leaf, knotted
1. In a pot, mix flours and salt with coconut milk, pandan leaf and stir on a low flame.
2. Once mixture starts thickening, add in water bit by bit stirring it continuously so that the custard remains smooth.
3. Som Som is ready once it starts popping up and has a glossy sheen to it. Discard pandan leaf. Stir it a few more times to get it really smooth. If needed add a bit more hot water and stir out lumps.
4. Put in containers and chill.
5. To make the syrup, chop up gula melaka and add it into a pot together with the rest of the ingredients.
6. Simmer for about 5 minutes on medium heat or until all the sugar dissolves and reduces to a light syrupy texture. Serve with chilled or warm Somsom.