Warm and nourishing, Soto Ayam is an Asian chicken soup that is brimming with spices and aromatics. A definite crowd-pleaser and an ideal dish for family gatherings.
A hearty soto perfect for a Raya Open House!
Soup ( A )
Half a Chicken
1 Sachet of Sup Bunjut ( an Asian Bouquet Garni )
6 Cloves of Garlic ( pounded to a paste )
5 cm Piece of Ginger ( pounded to a paste )
2 Stalks of Lemongrass ( bruised to release the flavour )
4 Litres of Water
Aromatics ( B )
1 Large Onion
3 Bulbs of Garlic
4 cm Ginger
Spices ( C )
1 Stalk of Cinnamon
1 Star Anise
Additional Soup Ingredients ( D )
4 Tbs Soto Soup Powder, mixed with 4Tbs Water
2 Tbs Oil
Salt to taste
1. Boil all the A ingredients.
2.Once chicken is cooked, remove it from the pot. When chicken is cool enough to handle, discard skin and bones and shred meat into bite-size pieces.
3. Blend B.
4. Heat up oil, fry C. Add in blended B. Fry till fragrant.
5. Add in D. Leave to simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
6. Add in A and the chicken pieces into the mixture.
7. Continue to simmer for 10 minutes. Season to taste.
Elevate your soto by adding some begedels before serving.