Pull these babies hot out of the oven and your guests will love you. It tears apart at a gentle fondle revealing a centre that is soft and beautifully fluffy. Butter and gravy will melt into it but if you prefer it sweet, it's just as delicious with jam.
"Like a lovechild of a fluffy bun and a buttery scone..."
1 packet yeast (11g)
¼ cup warm water
2 ½ cups all purpose flour (with more to flour surface)
½ tsp baking soda
½ Tbs baking powder
½ tsp salt
3 Tbs sugar
¼ cup + 1 Tbs vegetable shortening (The Crisco brand yields best results)
1 cup buttermilk
Milk for brushing
5 - 6
If you're baking it the next day, cover instantly with cling film the moment you place it on baking tray and keep in fridge immediately.
1. Mix yeast in warm water with a pinch of sugar to activate it.
2. Mix in all dry ingredients in a bowl.
3. Rub in shortening until you get a coarse meal. You can use butter if you don't have shortening but your biscuits will not be as tender (don't say we didn't warn you!)
4. Add in yeast mixture, egg and buttermilk. *If you don't have buttermilk, fret not, just add 1 Tbs lemon juice or 1 ½ Tbs vinegar to 1 cup of room temperature full fat milk. This is a good substitute for buttermilk.
5. You will get a very soft and sticky dough.
6. Scatter flour on work surface and knead dough softly and gently into a flattened circle. Use a cutter to cut into circular buns. Makes about 12 medium sized buns.
7. Arrange on baking tray. There is no need to space it out too much. Allow to rest for about 10 minutes.
8. Brush milk on top and pop it in a preheated oven of 180C.
9. Bake for 12-15 minutes until it's golden brown on top.
10. Eat warm from the oven with lashings of butter and gravy.
Southern Buttermilk Biscuits
After mixing dough, cut into desired rounds for baking. The dough should be soft and sticky.
Since 1998, FriedChillies.com has been a website dedicated to foodies from all over the world. FriedChillies Media writes, shoots, edits, produces, publishes and dreams about food. Food in all its alluring and appetizing forms.
We think there are endless ways to showcase food be it recipes, eating habits or just people obsessing about it. So we have shows to suit the foodie in everyone (check our shows here) and we have articles, reviews, gadgets, cooking tips and much, much more. Come to Friedchillies.com and we guarantee you'll go away hungry for more. Like us.