This is our take on those succulent sweet ‘ayam madu’ much loved by briyani enthusiasts. Use small cuts of chicken so it fries faster or even boneless thighs or breasts. Then make a ridiculous honeyed spicy glaze using just a few ingredients for fried chicken that is pretty damn spectacular.
Glorious finger-licking fried chicken
Serves 2 - 3 people
Adjust the sweetness or spiciness to your liking by varying the amount of honey and/or chili used.
½ a chicken, cut into bite size pieces
1 Tbs turmeric powder
1 Tbs curry powder
1 tsp chili powder
200g chili paste
2 shallots, pounded
5 Tbs honey
Salt to taste
1. Marinate chicken with the turmeric powder, curry powder, chili powder and salt for 5 minutes.
2. In a pot or wok, heat enough oil to deep fry chicken; cook chicken for 6-8 minutes, until golden brown and hot all the way through. Set aside and keep warm.
3. Take out most of the oil from the pot, leaving inside about 4-5 tablespoons. Fry blended shallots with chili boh/ paste and water for 6 minutes on high heat.
4. Add in honey and salt to taste. Cook further, until the sauce turns slightly dry and paste-like.
5. Stir in chicken pieces until well coated.