Succulent chicken, toasted cashew nuts and onions in a spicy and fragrant Szechuan sauce. Throw in some Szechuan peppers if you can find them to get that pleasant numbing buzz as you dig into this flavourful dish. Or else you can use a little more Szechuan pepper oil to give it that wonderful red colour and spiciness. This is a stellar CNY dish for your reunion table!
If you are unable to find Szechuan pepper oil you can substitute it with good quality chilli oil
300g chicken breast, skinless & boneless
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp soy sauce
¼ cup corn flour
1 tbsp oil
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp corn flour
½ tsp sugar
½ cup chicken stock
2 tbsp Szechuan pepper oil
3 cloves garlic, sliced
4 pieces ginger, sliced
3g Szechuan peppercorns
5 pcs dried chili, soaked and deseeded
1 whole red onion, cut into wedges
2 sprigs spring onion, chopped
20g cashew nuts, toasted
Pinch of white pepper
1. Cut the chicken breast into bite sized cubes. Add the rice vinegar and soy sauce and stir. Next, add the corn flour and mix thoroughly. At this stage it will be sticky. Stir in 1 tbsp of oil to loosen it.
2. Put a non-stick pan on medium high heat and brown the chicken on all sides.
3. Once brown, remove chicken and set aside. Carefully wipe off any residue left of the pan with a paper towel and put it back on the stove.
4. Heat the Szechuan pepper oil on high heat and sauté the garlic, ginger slices & Szechuan peppercorns until fragrant.
5. Next, throw in dried chilies, red onion wedges and continue to sauté until slightly smoky. Add in the chicken pieces and sauté for 30 seconds.
This is a quick stir-fry, once you can smell everything coming together, you're ready for the next step
6. In a small bowl, mix the 4 ingredients together for the sauce and and gently stir it in until thickened and slightly shiny.
7. Toss in chopped spring onions, cashew nuts & a pinch of white pepper. Remove from the heat and serve.
Cool the spices down with a cold F&N Seasons Ice Peach Tea, the perfect combo.
Gong Xi Fa Cai!