Who doesn’t love wontons? We love these little parcels stuffed with flavourful chicken to celebrate the upcoming Rooster year. And you will too! This recipe is pretty versatile too. If you don’t like ‘em steamed, then fry them in hot oil for a crispy pre-dinner snack!
Wet your teaspoon with some water before spooning the chicken filling.
150g chicken breast, skinless & boneless
2 tsp oyster sauce
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tsp corn flour
2 tsp sesame oil
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp white pepper
30g Chinese mushrooms, soaked & finely chopped
1 sprig spring onion, finely chopped
30 pcs wonton skins
50ml chinese black vinegar
10g ginger, julienned finely
1. Roughly cut chicken breast into small pieces. Put into a food processor together with the rest of the ingredients, except for the Chinese mushrooms, spring onion and wonton skins.
2. Whizz it into a fine texture and transfer it into a large mixing bowl.
3. Add in the chopped mushrooms and spring onions.
Not blending mushrooms and spring onions with the meat gives your wonton a better texture
4. To form wontons, take 1 piece of wonton skin and out about 1 tsp. of filling into the centre.
We know, it's so hard to resist over-filling it. But you want your wontons dainty and good for a bite
5. Dab a bit of water onto the skin fold wonton in half diagonally to form a triangle shape. Meet the two bottom corners together to form a ‘crown’ shape. Water helps the skin stick together. You can shape it any way you like. Get creative!
6. Bring a pot of water to a boil and attach the basket on top. Make sure the water is boiling rapidly for strong steam pressure. Steam the wontons for 5 minutes or until cooked.
Serve immediately together with the dipping sauce. Do combine the vinegar and ginger last minute before serving. Mixing it too early will make the ginger soggy
We matched these little darlings with some ice-cold F&N Seasons Jasmine Green Tea.
Happy Year of the Rooster!