1. Make coulis by simmering on a low fire strawberries with 1/4 cup sugar (10-15 minutes). Allow to cool. You can also use strawberry jam if feeling lazy.
2. For custard, stir in milks, custard powder and split vanilla bean continuously for 5-7 minutes until you get a runny custard. Also allow to cool.
3. Cut butter cake into squares. Spread coulis or jam on each square generously and lay at bottom the trifle bowl. An 8" bowl is a nice size.
4. Pour in custard and allow to soak for few minutes. Drop in fresh fruits.
5. Add another layer of butter cake, coulis, custard and fruit until bowl is almost full.
6. Chill in fridge overnight.
7. Next day, whip cream with 2Tbs sugar and top off you trifle. Sprinkle toasted almonds and more fresh fruits on top. Chill for another hour and serve.