If you’re an eggplant lover then you’re gonna love this Eggplant Belacan recipe. Usually eggplants need to be pre-fried to soften up but it becomes very greasy. This recipe solves that problem and you and enjoy the terung to your heart’s content minus the guilt feeling.
Eggplant without all the grease!
Serves 4 people
Blanching or steaming eggplant beforehand instead of frying makes it much less greasy.
1 large eggplant
Water for boiling
3 tbsp. oil
5 chilli padi
3 red chillies
5 cloves garlic
1 tbsp. roasted belacan
1 tsp. sugar
½ tsp. salt
A little bit of water
1. Pound chilli padi, red chillies, garlic, roasted belacan and sugar in mortar and pestle. Crush it into rough chunks. Don’t pound it into a fine paste. Chunks adds great texture.
2. Cut eggplant into batons. Blanch in hot water for 1-2 minutes to soften slightly. This helps soften eggplant without needing to fry it. Less oil means less grease.
3. Heat oil in a wok and add in pounded ingredients. Sauté until paste shrinks and fragrant. This should take about 2 – 3 minutes.
4. Add in blanched eggplant and mix it all up to combine. Season with salt and drizzle in a little water if it is too dry.
5. Serve it up with other lauk and some hot rice.