Crispy fried fish drenched in sweet and sour sauce. This is the kind of dinner that is so puas hati and great for sharing too!
A weekend dinner in 30 minutes
Serves 2 - 3 people
Some asam jawa is more sour than another, so adjust seasoning as necessary
1 medium sized fish
1 tbsp. corn flour
Salt to season
Oil for frying
4 red chillies, chopped
5 garlic, chopped
2 tbsp. oil
1 tbsp. chopped coriander stalks
1/4 cup asam jawa mixed with 1 cup hot water, strain out seeds
2 tbsp. fish sauce
100g gula melaka
1/4 yellow capsicum, diced
Coriander leaves for garnish
1. Get your fishmonger to siang the fish for you. Save yourself some time.
2. Pat dry your fish with paper towel, because water will make hot oil splatter everywhere. Score fish on both sides and season with salt and cornflour.
3. Deep fry in hot oil until crispy. Once done, set it aside and make the sauce.
4. Saute chopped chillies and garlic until fragrant. Add in coriander stalks, asam jawa juice, fish sauce gula melaka and capsicum. Cook until capsicum is slightly soft.
5. Pour in corn flour water to thicken the sauce. Pour sauce all over fried fish and garnish with coriander leaves.
Gotta have that enticing meleleh shot
We ate this with hot rice and telur dadar. Sedap yo!