World Cup 2018 is almost over guys. We are all at the edge of our seats! Want an easy snack to prepare that doesn’t take too much of your time? Jom! Let’s make some popcorn for game night. Everybody loves it and you guys can debate which team is gonna win the big game while munching away.
Pop your way through the big game!
Serves 10 people
Keep the lid closed while making popcorn. If you open it while it is still popping in there, you’re gonna create a lot of mess in the kitchen. Open at your own peril.
1 tbsp. butter
1 tbsp. oil
100g popcorn kernels
½ tsp. salt
A little water, about 50 ml or less
1 tbsp. butter
Peanut Butter Coating
½ cup honey
¼ cup sugar
½ cup peanut butter, chunky or smooth.. up to you
½ tsp. salt
Cinnamon Sugar Sprinkling
2 tbsp. butter
1 tsp. cinnamon powder
½ cup brown sugar
For the Plain Popcorn
1. Make the plain popcorn first. Use a large pot with a lid and heat up oil and butter on medium heat until it is melted.
2. Add in salt and pour in popcorn kernels and shake the pot to coat the kernels well.
3. Cover with a lid and wait for the popping to start. Keep the lid closed and shake the pot from time to time to even out the kernels at the bottom of the pan.
4. Once the popping stops, turn off the heat and pour out popcorn onto a tray to cool it down. Discard unpopped kernels.
You can eat it plain like this or jazz it up with some cool flavours.
For the Caramel Coating
1. Use a wide pot or wok, melt some sugar on medium heat and slowly let it melt into a golden brown caramel. Try not to stir it at this point.
2. You can gently swirl the pot to move the melted sugar around. If there are patches of caramel that is becoming too dark, drizzle in a little water to stop it from burning.
Just a little bit is enough
3. When all the sugar is almost melted, gently mix it around with a wooden spoon. Careful not to touch the hot caramel. It is about 180˚c, you’ll burn your skin off.
Cook caramel to this deep golden brown colour
4. Add in butter and mix well. It will sizzle and bubble up a bit.
Butter will give the caramel a nice lemak flavour to it
5. Pour in plain popcorn and stir to coat each kernel with caramel.
Keep mixing and don't be tempted to touch it. It's still hot!
6. Once done, pour it out onto a tray to cool down.
Once cooled, break up the clumps into smaller pieces.
For the Peanut Butter Coating
1. Melt honey and sugar in a wide pot. Add in peanut butter and salt. Stir to incorporate all the ingredients well.
We used unsweetened peanut butter. Reduce the amount of sugar if yours have sugar in it.
2. Pour in popcorn and stir well to coat each popcorn with peanut butter sauce. Done!
Mmmmm.. these are sticky, sweet and nutty...
For the Cinnamon Sugar Sprinkling
1. Melt butter in a wide pot and stir in popcorn. Mix to coat the butter evenly.
Butter helps the cinnamon sugar to stick onto the popcorn
2. Combine cinnamon and sugar in a bowl and mix well. Sprinkle onto buttered popcorn and shake to coat well. Done!
If you're a cinnamon sugar fan, this one is for you!