This Tuscan soup is hearty and satisfying, great to simmer on a slow day while reading a good book. We think it’s much better than a Minestrone anyday!
Serves 4 people
A warm and comforting dish to enjoy on a lazy Sunday.
2 cups dried white navy beans
2 Tbs olive oil
2 medium leeks (chopped)
2 stalks celery (chopped)
3 garlic cloves (finely minced)
3 carrots (diced)
5 cups vegetable or chicken broth
1 1/2 tsp fresh rosemary (chopped)
Salt and pepper, to taste
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1. Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed soup pot and add leeks.
2. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until leeks begin to soften. Add celery, garlic, and carrots and cook, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes.
3. Add stock, rinsed navy beans, herbs, salt, and pepper.
4. Bring soup to a boil, then cover, reduce heat, and allow to simmer over low heat for 1 hour.
5. Puree 3 cups of soup in a blender or food processor and pour back into the pot. Add lemon juice, and more salt and pepper if needed.