1. Preheat oven at 180°c on convection mode. Grease a 8" x 8" cake tin with melted butter and line with baking parchment. Grease baking parchment as well. Set aside.
2. Beat eggs, egg yolks and sugar in a mixer on medium speed until pale and really fluffy. When batter is really fluffy, add in condensed milk 1 tablespoon at a time and pour in vanilla essence.
Left: Adding condensed milk. Right: Adding vanilla essence
3. Give it a final mix and use a weighing scale to divide it equally into 2 batches. Now you have Batter A and Batter B.
4. Sift flour and use a weighing scale to divide it equally into 2 batches. Now you have Flour A and Flour B
5. Fold in half of Flour A into Batter A. Once it is well combined, fold in the rest of Flour A into Batter A. The batter should form light ribbons on the surface.
6. Repeat process with Flour B and Batter B. Fold in spices only into Batter B. Mix well.
Left: Batter A (flour). Right: Batter B (flour & spices)
7. Preheat greased cake tin in oven for 2 minutes.
8. Remove preheated cake tin from oven and scoop in 1 ladleful of Batter A. Spread it out evenly and bake for 9 minutes.
9. After 9 minutes, switch oven mode to top grill. When first Bahulu layer is golden brown, remove from oven and spread melted butter generously.
10. Put cake tin back in oven for 1 minute to let butter seep into the Bahulu.
11. Remove cake tin from oven and spread strawberry jam evenly.
12. Spoon in a ladleful of Batter B and spread it out evenly. Sprinkle in some raisins.
13. Put cake tin back in the oven and bake for 8 minutes. Take it out when it is golden brown.
14. Lightly press down the Bahulu layers with a pastry presser or a flat potato masher. This is to press down the layers of Bahulu so you will get neat lines.
15. Spread butter evenly and bake again for another 1 minute.
16. Spoon in a ladle of Batter A, sprinkle in chopped cherries and bake for 8 minutes.
17. Lightly press down Bahulu again and spread another layer of butter.
18. Repeat steps 11 to 18 all over again until all the batter are used up.
19. Let Bahulu Lapis cool down for at least 2 hours before cutting. Ideally, let it rest overnight so the flavours can develop.