For the Chicken
1. Make the marinade first. Mix all ingredients together and marinate the chicken for at least an hour. You can put it in a zip lock bag to ensure chicken is thoroughly submerged.
2. Mix all ingredients for flour dredge until it is well combined.
3. Take out marinated chicken pieces and reserve marinade in a wide bowl. Dredge chicken into seasoned flour. Shake off excess flour and dip chicken into marinade again. Remove chicken from marinade and dredge in seasoned flour again for the second time.
Shortcut : Marinade, drain, dredge, dip in marinade again and dredge.
4. Leave double dredged chicken on a plate for 15 minutes to allow the flour coating to stick onto the chicken properly.
5. Heat up oil until hot. Put a wooden chopstick into the oil and if it starts sizzling immediately, the oil is ready.
6. Fry the chicken for 4 minutes on each side. Flip over and fry again. If you have a thermometer, stick it into the center. The reading should be 70°c and above for it to be properly cooked.
7. Rest the chicken for at least 10 minutes. In the meantime, switch on waffle maker to get it properly hot.
For the Waffles
1. Separate egg yolks from whites. Mix egg yolks with milk and melted butter.
2. Combine dry ingredients mix with egg yolk mix. Whisk well to combine. It will still be slightly lumpy, that is OK.
3. Whip eggs whites until soft peaks and fold it into the waffle batter.
4. Scoop a ladle of waffle batter into the waffle maker and cover to cook. My waffle maker took about 8 minutes to cook each batch.
5. Serve waffles and fried chicken together. Slather butter all over waffles and drizzle maple syrup all over.