1. Preheat oven to 200˚c. Clean and pat dry chicken. Use a paper towel to blot the skin dry.
Dry skin makes crispy skin
2. Mix chopped rosemary, black pepper, garlic, salt and butter together to from a buttery paste.
These can be made in advance and kept in the freezer up to 6 months
3. Using clean hands, rub butter all over the skin and inside the cavity.
4. Mix all veggies for aromatics together and put at the bottom of the baking dish. Place chicken on top of the veggies and roast in the oven for 1 hour.
Use a wide tray so the hot air can circulate and crisp up the skin properly
5. Remove chicken from the oven and carefully pour out all the juices from the cavity and pour all the veggies and juices from the tray into a pot. Use it to make gravy.
6. Serve it whole or carve it up for easy pickings.
Carving chicken makes it easy for everyone to help themselves