1. Marinate chicken feet in dark soy sauce for 15 minutes. Drain and pat dry with paper towels. Deep fry for a few minutes just to get a nice dark caramel colour. Set it aside.
WARNING: OIL WILL SPLATTER. Make sure cover wok or pot with a lid throughout frying process.
2. While frying the chicken feet, boil mushrooms in a little water and chicken stock powder for 10 minutes. Set it aside.
This process gives flavour to the mushrooms and makes it juicy and tender
3. Dry whole garlic cloves with dry chillies until fragrant.
Fry just for a minute to brown the garlic skins.
4. Add in fried chicken feet and toss for about a minute.
Mix it all up.
5. Add in cinnamon stick, star anise, mushrooms, water, dark soy sauce and salt. Simmer covered for about 45 minutes on medium low heat, until chicken feet is tender and off the bone.
6. Add in gula melaka and adjust seasoning if necessary.
They should be tender and succulent.