1. Heat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
2. Make the sambal first. Blend the red onion, garlic and belacan into a smooth paste. Heat up oil on a wok or pan, pour in the blended ingredients and saute until the paste shrinks. Add in chilli paste and sugar.
4. When the paste shrinks again for the second time, pour in the coconut milk, salt and lime juice.
5. Adjust seasoning to your liking.
6. Cut the ikan pari into portions and season with oil and salt.
7. Pre-roast the fish until half cooked and smear the sambal all over the fish. Spread the tomato wedges on your baking tray as well. Use the oil from the sambal to season the tomato wedges.
8. Return the fish into the oven until it is fully cooked. Best served when it is piping hot.