1. Put the pitted dates in a bowl and cover it with hot water. Let it sit for 10 minutes to soften up. Drain the dates and puree in the food processor, only add in a little bit of hot water if the puree is too thick. Set it aside.
2. Sift the flour, salt and spices together. Cream the butter and sugar until it turns pale yellow. Blitz in the eggs 1 by 1 with the vanilla essence.
3. Pour in all the date puree and incorporate well. This should only take a few seconds in the food processor.
4. Add in all the sifted flour and switch on the food processor again. This should not take more than 15 seconds.
5. Pour out the cake batter into an 8 inch cake tin lined with butter and baking paper. Spread out the cake batter evenly in the tin. Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 40 minutes.
6. Use a wooden skewer to check if the cake is cooked. If the skewer comes out clean, remove the cake from the oven and let it cool on a rack.
7. To make the toffee sauce, combine all 3 ingredients together and bring to a low simmer until the sauce is thick and shiny. This will take about 10 minutes.
8. The pudding is best served warm or at room temperature.