1. Pound chilli padi, red chillies, garlic, roasted belacan and sugar in mortar and pestle. Crush it into rough chunks. Don’t pound it into a fine paste. Chunks adds great texture.
2. Cut eggplant into batons. Blanch in hot water for 1-2 minutes to soften slightly. This helps soften eggplant without needing to fry it. Less oil means less grease.
3. Heat oil in a wok and add in pounded ingredients. Sauté until paste shrinks and fragrant. This should take about 2 – 3 minutes.
4. Add in blanched eggplant and mix it all up to combine. Season with salt and drizzle in a little water if it is too dry.
5. Serve it up with other lauk and some hot rice.